Cemeteries


 

The Old Lyme Cemetery Association keeps indexed maps of the current cemeteries in Old Lyme. In order to locate someone in an Old Lyme cemetery, you will need to contact Bob Whitcomb at 860-434-7221.

The Hale Collection is a list of headstone inscriptions for all cemeteries existing in Connecticut in 1934. The Old Lyme Library has copies of Old Lyme, East Lyme, and Lyme editions. All are indexed by name on headstone and include lists of cemeteries and a map of their locations.

Old Lyme graveyards include: Duck River, Laysville, Peck, Black Hall Schoolhouse, Champion #1 and #2, Waite, Old Meeting House Hill, Griswold, Chadwick and Slate.

Lyme graveyards include: Sterling, Congregational Church, Bill Hill, Marvin, Brockway, Joshuatown, Selden, Cove, Luther, Daniels, Indian Grave, Beckitt Hill, Gillette, Grassy Hill, Colt, Beebe, Griffin, Sisson, Pleasant View, North Lyme Baptist (moved to Pleasant View), Ely, Lord, Hall (moved to Grassy Hill), Richards.

East Lyme  graveyards include: Old Stone Church, Union, Banty, Rogers, Pest Yard, Center (or Riverhead), Cavarly, Huntley, Crocker, Powers, Flanders Church, 3 Taber Stones, Leech, Fosdick, Barthrick (or Champion #3), Tinker, Old Fox Farm, Holmes, Tilleson, Beebe, Chadwick, Reeve, Indian Cemetery (now in Union Cemetery).

Duck River Cemetery

Named for the small river which flows through it, the Duck River Cemetery was established in the seventeenth century and includes some of the oldest gravestones in Old Lyme. Prominent citizens buried here include Reverend Moses Noyes (1643-1729), Governor Matthew Griswold (1712-1797), Reverend Stephen Johnson (1724-1786), and John McCurdy (1724-1785). Also buried here are several artists who were members of the Lyme Art Colony, including Harry Hoffman, Will Howe Foote, Charles and Mary Ebert, William Chadwick, and Clark Voorhees.

Read Dr. Pfeiffer’s paper “Duck River Cemetery, 1676-1735” (pdf)

Read Dr. Pfeiffer’s paper “Slave Graves in Lyme and Old Lyme” (pdf)

Old Lyme's oldest graveyard is located near the site of the town's first two churches on Meetinghouse Hill behind the present-day Old Lyme Country Club.

 

Lilac Cemetary    Duck River Cemetery